In this episode of Insights From The Studio with Mike & Steve, we discuss what to drink before recording your podcast. (We also find out what Steve does when he’s not at the studio!)
Your podcast is all about your voice. Because of this, what you drink can make a big difference in how you sound. So… what should you drink when recording?
Highlights From This Episode:
“Is coffee ok? I drink about 18 cups per day.”Steve Wilmes
“You want to steer away from thicker drinks… don’t drink a milkshake right before recording a podcast.”Mike Nease
Certain drinks are good for your voice, others are bad. Here are a few that we recommend and a few that you should probably avoid before recording:
What You Should Drink Before Recording
- Hot Tea
- Honey + Lemon + Hot Water (don’t overdo the lemon as it can dry out your throat)
What You Should NOT Drink Before Recording
- Sodas and other fizzy drinks – these tend to put a lot of air in your stomach which can be undesirable during recording.
- Milk & Other Dairy Products – these cause a large amount of mucus buildup which can gunk up your voice
- Citrus Fruits – As much as these may seem to be full of juice, they can actually cause your throat to dry up.
- Alcohol – Like citrus fruits, alcohol can cause your throat to dry up. The last thing you want is to start coughing in the middle of your show.
- Ice Cold Drinks – These can cause your throat to constrict and tend to have the opposite effect of what you’re looking for.
Keep in mind that while these are recommended, they’re not a requirement. Everyone’s voice is different, and everyone’s show is different. If you find that you’re perfectly okay drinking alcohol before or during your podcast, then, by all means, don’t let this deter you. But we’ve found that sticking to these general guidelines can help most people get the best sound out of their voice every time they record.
What do you like to drink before recording your podcast? Join the conversation by leaving a comment below.
Like what you hear? Be sure to Subscribe!
Ready to come in and check out our space?
Mention this episode and get 10% off your first recording session!
Follow us on Instagram @podcastcenterla